Tuesday, June 23, 2015

June 23rd, 2105

This morning I found a really neat-o caterpillar! I didn't have time to take its photos (okay.... you got me... I didn't have my camera..... ) But when I came home I was able to find it again!








It is a Cinnabar Moth (Tyria jacobaeae)caterpillar. They were introduce to America to control Ragwort in 1960.

Ragwort (Jacobaea vulgaris)


 
Ragwort is native to Europe and Asia. It is poisonous and tastes bitter, but when it is dried it looses the bitter flavor so horses and cattle don't know it is bad. It too much ragwort is ingested it can cause liver problems. It can be used to make very lovely green and yellow dies, but that is pretty much it......

Turns out the caterpillars do such a great job eating the plant.....


they will eat each other. They will also randomly eat each other..... very few make it to pupate.

Good luck little guys.....




I'm going to keep a good eye on this plant and these caterpillars. Maybe I will see a cinnabar moth, next year, because they pupate over winter.


Thanks Wikipedia for all the great info!

No comments:

Post a Comment